Doctoral schools: evaluation process
Conducting the evaluation
The evaluation incorporates the results of the reviews carried out by the department for the evaluation of research units, so as to assess the scientific quality of the laboratories making up the doctoral school. More particularly, it focuses on how the doctoral school is run, the quality of doctoral student supervision, integration into the job market and the follow-up of doctors.
The process is as follows:
- submission of applications
- organisation by institutions and higher education and research clusters of doctoral school evaluation days with half a day devoted to the presentation of the site’s doctorates policy
- expert committee visit
- writing of the draft report
- dispatch of the report to the institution for comments prior to the scoring meeting
- publication of the evaluation reports, with comments attached, on the AERES website
- Organisation of the visit: appointment of scientific delegates, setup of visiting committees, contact with the doctoral school and administrative directors.
- Review work before the visit: the experts read the application and fill in the review grid.
- On-site visit: preparatory meeting between committee members, discussion with the doctoral school director, Board members, representatives of the institution and doctoral students, followed by the writing of a draft report.
- Review work after the visit: writing of the draft evaluation report by the chairman.
- Proofreading, correction and validation: proofreading and validation by the scientific delegates, validation of the report by the department head.
- Evaluation of doctoral schools (group under way)
- Application for the evaluation of doctoral schools (group under way)
- Procedure for a doctoral school visit (group under way)